Is there anything better than curling up next to the fireplace on a cold, winter day? We think not. But unfortunately, a cozy night in can turn into a real problem if your chimney hasn’t been cleaned or maintained in quite some time. Luckily you have us, your go-to experts for all your Main Line chimney cleaning needs.
How can you tell when it’s time to call Hynes Construction for a Main Line chimney cleaning?
While you may keep an extra tidy house, many homeowners struggle with knowing when it’s time to clean out their chimney because it’s out of sight. The inside of chimneys are tall, dark and difficult to see, plus if you’re not an experienced chimney cleaner, it can be hard to know what you’re even looking for up there!
Why should you have your Main Line chimney cleaned regularly?
Operating a chimney that hasn’t been thoroughly cleaned or maintained can have dangerous consequences. If you use your chimney regularly, the fires you relax by create by-products like creosote and soot that can put your family and home at risk. Without proper cleaning, these by-products can build up over time, creating a highly flammable layer that could lead to a dangerous house fire. While the frequency you need to have your chimney cleaned out will vary depending on your usage, the National Fire Protection Association recommends getting a professional inspection every year.
Signs Your Chimney is in Need of a Good Scrub-Down
Before throwing more logs on that fire, make sure your Main Line chimney is ready to go. The following signs might mean it’s time to call a professional:
- Starting a fire takes forever, and the fires that do start burn poorly.
- Smoke fills the room and sometimes seeps throughout the house when a fire is lit.
- Gusts of cold air can be felt even when a fire is not lit.
- Stinky odors waft in through the fireplace when it’s not in use. Often these odors will smell like burned wood.
- Black gunk is built up on the damper. A damper is just a small flap inside the flue that allows smoke and air to escape. You can find the damper just above the firebox.
If you notice one or more of these warning signs, give Hynes Construction a call. We provide routine cleaning and maintenance services of all types of chimneys, including gas and oil heating flues, fireplaces, and wood stove chimneys. Our experts can remove any blockages and have your chimneys back in tip-top shape in no time.